Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Beauty and the Beast


Beauty and the Beast

One of my favorite things to say is that we are all animals with a thin veneer of civilization. ALL of us are animals.

I read a book once. Yes, I still read them occasionally when I'm not glued to my monitor. There are some spectacular amateur writers publishing on the internet. Reviews are air, water and food to these modern bards! Anyway, I read this book, The Life of Pi, wherein the the young Pi simultaneously accepted Christianity, Islam, and Hinduism. He simply said yes, despite the inconsistencies between them. I love that he did that. After the first hundred pages, watch out. A boy and his tiger, on a life raft. I WILL be rereading this book, hell, more than once, maybe three times.

I'm coming to terms with the fact that I take a very anthropological view of human behavior. I accept society's efforts to make rules that allow us to live together, even if I don't agree with many of those rules. I make my small contributions as our species takes its baby steps.

My original thought, beauty and the beast. Men. I love men. I love my man just the way nature made him. I accepted the animal in him and found the animal in myself. Who knew? I don't need him to be less of a man to feel respected as a woman. We've moved past that. Feminist theory, political correctness, gender issues, they all get left outside the bedroom door. There is no contradiction for me. It's funny, but this is how I've started to understand how other people have faith in their religions.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

S. Gregory said...

Most interesting. I also look at us as just one of the many creatures twinkling amongst the starry expanse of the universe.

Please post a-fresh soon!

birdie said...

foolowed a comment you left on hot action and i like it here, i'll be back again for more.